Instead, I am left wondering if I will be able to even find a place to run 1 mile to maintain my streak. Today is the worst yet, in terms of ice/no traction. I got up, got layered and went out and spent 20 minutes trying to find a spot I could take running steps without fear of breaking something. No luck.
It should be warming up later and Steve suggested we go out behind our subdivision to the open fields (he’ll drive me over) to see if we can find some crunchy ground for me to run over and over.
When Kari wakes up I will see if she has any other ideas. Her blog, after all, is called There Is Always A Way. We’ll find a way. Dammit.
As for the “not running a marathon” blues, I apologize to the rest of the disappointed runners for, honestly, not really having the blues. I was theorizing to Kari that the reason for that is probably because it doesn’t really change anything about my plans for training beyond today. I always intended to continue 50 to 60 miles per week running so that 1) I could reach my 2013 mileage goal (already in jeopardy from the weather now) and 2) I would still be in top shape to run the Cowtown in February, which we were almost sure we were doing anyway. So nothing has changed for me (except that I lost $200 on our registrations).
I know now, too, that they made the right decision. The streets here are so bad that the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex in its entirety has been shut down for two days. Risking lives to get to the race/run the race wasn’t worth it. I can only imagine how many hundreds of accidents and injuries there would have been on and off the course. It was the right call.
More cooking, baking, shut-inning today. If nothing else, the company this weekend has been AMAZING. Having Kari here is awesome and getting to talk and talk and talk in person is better than I could have even expected. (And all the great food we’ve been having has been icing on the cake!)